Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Color schemes to prevent eye fatigue

I have been sitting in front of the computer quite a bit in the past few weeks, and I noticed that my eyes get very tired by the end of the day (I used to get back pain too, but stretching helped a lot). After a bit of reading I learned that the maximum-contrast white-on-black-based color scheme I was using is in fact extremely stressful for the eyes, and I started looking for something designed for the specific purpose of reducing eye fatigue. After checking out Zenburn for a few days, I started using Solarized by Ethan Schoonover. I find it really nice and relaxing, here is a screenshot of Emacs editing Common Lisp code:

2 comments:

  1. This caught my eye in the Planet Lisp feed because I've recently started using Solarized, and am really loving it too.

    You may also want to check out F.lux (http://stereopsis.com/flux/) to reduce the harshness of your monitor. I used to only use it at night, but I've recently started using it during the day too, setting it to "Florescent". So far, I'm liking it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I was looking for a long time for such a scheme.

    ReplyDelete